Thursday, December 20, 2012

Micro-reviews

Because I'm too lazy to do actual reviews... though maybe I'll do full length for a couple at some point... maybe...

Crewel (Crewel World, #1)Crewel by Gennifer Aldin
This book was read while I was kind of overwrought- I was stealing moments in order to read anything at all, and, while this was a book I had decided I would read immediately, I kept drifting away to others. I just wasn't captivated. I actually forgot the heroine's name one time- I couldn't connect with her, and I don't really know why. The concept is interesting: there are girls who can weave the fabric of the world, and control destiny (crewel is actually a kind of wool thread). But my mind just wandered.There were moments I felt I should be sympathetic to the female lead, but I just wasn't (and I can get very into my characters- the last Artemis Fowl pretty much put me through a condensed version of all of the stages of grief... and then brought me back), but I was unflinching at this one, even when she was forced to mutilate her own fingers weaving razor-sharp thread. I just couldn't attach myself to any of the characters.


Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
I don't know how I feel about this book. I think I wouldn't like it, but I kind of do anyway (does that make sense? no, I don't think it does). It's a lot of things I don't like in a book- steampunk just to be steampunk, a budding love triangle, French vampires named Camille (seriously, what is with people naming French vampires Camille, is there no other available name?) but now I'm nitpicking. But I don't hate it- actually, I kind of liked it. This isn't my first foray into Cassandra Clare's work, I gave Mortal Instruments a go but didn't get into it (please don't kill me with pitchforks). I get the sense that the characters will grow on me in spite of myself, and as soon as I finished Angel I rushed out to get Prince. The banter I found highly amusing (I do so enjoy banter), and I am curious about the plotline. No opinion on the love triangle except this: if Tessa is a warlock, she's immortal right? and both of the boys aren't (and Jem is kind of dying), so how would a relationship work anyway (unless she's not a warlock... or not a normal one... or something... I'm just confusing myself more here... (she talks to Magnus Bane at some point in City of Glass, and apparently Church the cat is in Mortal Instruments too)... I really should just read Mortal Instruments... and my habit of the overuse of  the ellipsis rears it's ugly head ). Anywho, I'm partway through Clockwork Prince now, and forseeing much angst in the future. And I know I'm totally going to get attached.



Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
I read this one a while ago... while babysitting (not out loud). It was hard to put down... though it had do get put down a lot, weing as there were children to be babysat (whose idea was the term "babysitting" anyway?) I remember that I was really glad when I finally got the kids to sleep so I could read in peace for a couple minutes. And even a while after (it has been a while... I read it in February... though there was a re-read), I still remember the most of the characters and some random things (Aria smells like violets, and Perry is short of Peregrine), which I don't always do. Through the Ever Night comes out in January if I'm not mistaken (I do that sometimes).


And that's all for now. I'm off to go read more of Clockwork Prince.


No comments :

Post a Comment