Saturday, January 3, 2015

2014 End of the Year Book Survey

Number Of Books You Read: So far 50. It was not a good year for finishing books for me.

Number of Re-Reads: More than the number of books I've read for the first time. This has been an year of rereads.

Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy.
 best-YA-books-2014
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?

The Winner's Curse, I think. I'll be mentioning it a lot.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I was kind of disappointed by Trust Me, I'm Lying. Also, Blood of Olympus was much less than what I was expecting.
 3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014? 
Rites of Passage. I don't usually enjoy contemporaries, and I'm always pleasantly surprised when I do.
 4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
The Raven Boys? Maybe. I don't even really keep track of what books I recommend to who recently. I probably ought to, no?
 5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
The Winner's Curse was the best book starting a trilogy that I read in 2014. World After was my favourite sequel. My favourite series ender was Unmade by Sarah Rees Brennan, despite some problems that I had with it, or Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo. 
 6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
Probably Marie Rutkoski.
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
I don't generally read a lot of Historical Fiction, but I really enjoyed A Mad, Wicked Folly by Sharon Biggs Waller. Also, as I mentioned before Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley.
 8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
I went through Rites of Passage pretty quickly, among others.
 9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Blue Lily, Lily Blue will definitely get a reread next year. Probably in anticipation of the Untitled final book. I feel like all these books benefit from several reads. 
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3)
Sea of Shadows (Age of Legends, #1)A Mad, Wicked Folly
Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
I actually liked a lot of the covers for books that I read this year. Blue Lily, Lily Blue has a lovely cover, so do Sea of Shadows, A Mad, Wicked Folly, World After and Cress. Talon is overall really well packaged.
Talon (Talon, #1)
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Kestrel from The Winner's Curse, or Kami & co. from Unmade
 12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
The Winner's Curse, or Blue Lily, Lily Blue
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
Little Brother had some very thought provoking moments, despite it's other flaws.
 14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
Poison Study. For something that was on my list for a significant about of time, it certainly took me a while to get to.
 15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
I always have such a challenging time with this one... I really ought to commit these things to memory in advance. Part of the issue is that I have a lot of passages I love for a lot of different reasons. I'm still not sure. Here's a couple that I remember loving:

  • The end of The Winner's Curse I really liked from a storytelling perspective, because it adds a lot of suspense without saying "Bam! Cliffhanger!" And really sets up the next book.
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Longest: City of Heavenly Fire at 725
 17. Book That Shocked You The Most
I wasn't really all that shocked by too many books this year.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Kestrel and Arin from The Winner's Curse, I'm a fan of couples that feel like equals. Also Penryn and Raffe from World After... talk about a battle couple (possibly I'm still hung up on that time when Penryn fed and Archangel cat food. Maybe). 
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Kami and Angela from Unmade have an amazing friendship. Unmade was my champion for this, this year, apparently, because I also loved Kami's relationship with her father John. 
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
As in book not a part of a series I'm already reading? So part of a new series, or a new stand alone. Sea of Shadows was really enjoyable, and Rebel Belle was a fun read.
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I don't generally have people recommend books to me... I might not have picked up A Mad, Wicked Folly when I did if I hadn't at the time been doing the debut author challenge, though, so maybe that counts.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Another year goes by and still nothing. This question gets more awkward every year... would it help if I said I still lack a celebrity crush too? Or would that make it worse? There are a lot of characters that I admire, but I don't think that's the definition of a crush-way...
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
The Winner's Curse was interesting. Also, as always, I loved the world of Ruin and Rising.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
I feel like I've been mentioning a lot of the same books so let's bring a new one. Rebel Belle had its fun moments.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
Unmade was a lot of ups and downs.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Hmm...  I don't really think I had one.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Unmade has its moments, though my soul wasn't that crushed. Souls are very had to crush. 
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
I really enjoyed the blended mythologies in Sea of Shadows. Its really unfortunate that mythologies like Native American don't get more time to shine on their own, but it was nice to see elements in this. (By the way, if anyone has some good books based in lesser-known mythologies, leave a comment, I would love to read more of them).
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
*let-down authority figure voice* I'm not sad, just disappointed. *end voice*. No I'm actually pretty angry. Blood of Olympus. The only thing that worked for me was the Nico and Reyna parts, and I even had qualms about a few of the narrative decisions there. 
book-blogging


1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2014? 
I don't actually know which ones I found this year. I love the layout of Snuggly Oranges, who I found very recently.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014? 
Often when I look back at my review I don't like them. I've really enjoyed doing the mini-reviews. 
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
My personal favourite was the How To Dislike a Book post, solely because it was a) getting something off of my chest that had been bothering me a while and b) kind of fun to write (also c) let me show off my incredible talent with Microsoft Paint *sarcasm*). 
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I did nothing this year, physical world-wise. Actually nothing. There were two events that I really wanted to get to, but it didn't work out... it was at a bad time- they both conflicted with busy times for classes. I did do several read-a-thons that I really enjoyed, though.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
I'm part of a book club/read-a-long thing on Twitter (oh, right, I got a Twitter this year), and I always enjoy the chats at the end of those.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
One of my Top Ten Tuesday posts actually: Top Ten 2014 Debuts I'm Excited For. Interestingly, neither of the ones on the list that I actually did read made my favourites.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Some of the reviews, maybe? I always struggle with where I am as a reviewer (I feel like my reviewing style is constantly evolving), and they take me a long time to write sometimes... so it would be nice to know what other people thought of the book.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Book Depository. I had heard it mentioned before, but this was my first year visiting this site.
10.  Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
2014 Debut Challenge: No. I instead have a pile of DNFed debuts. I attempted a lot of books.
Goodreads Challenge: Not quite. Things happened.
looking-ahead-books-2015
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
Try an incredibly long list of books. Death Sworn has been on my list for a while. 
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
I have a list. For books that are not part of an existing series: The Darkest Part of The Forest, most immediately (it comes out in January). 
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Either Red Queen or An Ember in the Ashes.
 4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
Right now probably either The Winner's Crime or the untitled last book of The Raven Cycle.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
Figure out HTML and CSS. I'm no good at it (anyone know a good book on intro. programming?)
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
I haven't read any yet... I don't really request a lot of ARCs...

1 comment :

  1. I know what you mean about the crush question. I don't get crushes on book characters....they are separate entity to me. I will root for certain characters to "end up with" other characters but that is about it.

    ReplyDelete