Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Top 10 Books From My Childhood That I Would Love To Revisit

Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly feature created at The Broke and The Bookish.

... I'm still technically in my teen years... so we've going to go with childhood books. Including some picture books. This post made me feel really nostalgic.

Novels (or "Chapter Books" as they were called)

1. The Magic Treehouse series by Marie Pope Osborne. I think these are still going on, actually, but I haven't been keeping up. This series was a major part of my childhood. You know how Harry Potter is a series that people say "made them a reader"? Well, for me it was these ones.

2. The Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling. This was the first "real" novel that I really decided to read on my own. I was seven or eight, I think? I keep meaning to reread them (the year after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out, I read them all in a week over the summer, and I would like to do that again). Also, I listened to the audiobooks a lot (the Jim Dale ones).

3. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I remember picking this up and not expecting to read the whole thing as fast as I did. I think I have a copy somewhere... *rummaging in basement commences*

4. Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. I distinctly recall sitting on the floor beside a bookshelf for the duration of reading this. It was not comfortable. I did not move. I don't remember too much about it (I do recall the scene with the toad at the end), but I remember being really engaged at the time.

5. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. It isn't my favourite Tolkien, but I've just finished The Silmarillion, and I've been thinking I might revisit The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings both.

Picture Books

6. Weslandia by Paul Flieschman. I liked the idea of this book a lot as a child. I think it made a lasting impression, I've never quite gotten past my fascination with sustainability in cities.

7. The Lorax by Doctor Seuss. I didn't realise people hadn't read this. Imagine my surprise when I mentioned it and received blank looks. It made a deep impression on me as a child. If you haven't read this, please go read it.

8. Wump World by Bill Peet. This book is glorious and, wow, I am becoming aware that all of my favourite children's books are pretty strongly environmentalist (now, the question is what came first, my environmentalist tendencies, or my reading of these books...? Or both, probably both). This book is a delight.

No comments :

Post a Comment